28 May 2012

Cue the Rocky theme...

Training has begun! Lots of little things that need to be learned and done around base. People leaving and coming, getting base staff and school staff in the right spots and roles as we're beginning. Getting to know each other and our surroundings, testing our wings with this new role, hearing from people who've been doing it for years. Today the Basic Leadership School semi started for us staff to get a head start on our homework and book reports for that. (I need to find a good book on leadership to do a report on...suggestions? I know a bunch but want something GREAT!). We're starting to go through files and pray over our students, feel our way around the facebook group and start making contact.

One of the things we've been talking about is the importance of staying in contact with supporters and prayer partners back home. Newsletters, blogs, emails, trying to keep schedules to make sure all of that is happening. Remembering and putting into practice now times of rest and quiet. I met with our financial leader and he's giving me an updated sort of fees report this week that I'll be updating here and sending to supporters. I have been in contact with a supporter from home that's having trouble transferring money into my account so continued prayers for finances would be wonderful.

It's been really chilly here in the mornings with frost on the ground and the cars. But the midday has been sunny and pleasant. The mountains are making snow now that it's getting cold enough up there so they have a good base for the real stuff that's been sporadic. Saturday the SDTS staff team is going into Christchurch to pick up our last guy and go to the SFC (Snowboarders for Christ) kickoff. Should be a good time, get me amped for the snowboard season here.

During my quiet time I've been reading through Genesis. I read thru the New Testament while I was a DTS student and as staff I figured I'd go through the Old. One of the things that's been sticking out to me is how much everything God does comes from a heart of complete, divine love for His people. From making a help mate for Adam, to separating them from the tree of life, to making them skins to wear, even marking Cain, everything He does comes from this complete love for His people. Even when things didn't make sense or even when they seem to be just a reaction to sin, EVERYTHING is done from love. Like the Father just LOVES. He just totally, completely loves His people. We don't even know what that kind of love is like. Human love, even it's like most pure state is still really selfish, we're still doing or getting something out or in return for it. And here you have this marvelous Creator who just got done making the whole earth and is so powerful and so in control of everything and can do anything and He chooses to love these weak, small, little people and doesn't love them with anything but all of Himself!










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is exciting stuff for me to read!! I hope you have such a wonderful experience! I'll be doing my best to keep up with you on here! God Speed friend!
-Seth A.