06 March 2013

March, in like a lamb...same as everything in New Zealand.

Update time...

One of my most common "jobs" around here is hanging out with the Smith boys, Titus and Zephyr (2 and almost 1). Last week found them all coming down with the yucks so of course this week found me in Christchurch going to Urgent Care with a bad case of strep. Prayers for continued speedy healing and praise that my allergy prone self seems to be doing fine with penicillin  Who'd thunk?

I've started listening to The Moral Revolution Podcasts recently. http://podcast.moralrevolution.com/ Admittedly this is one of my first real ventures into the world of podcasts and I'm not sure I'm "doing it right." Most of these are so good I'll listen to them on repeat for two or three times through. Some of them I'll leave on while I'm sleeping in hopes that my subconscious brain is absorbing it and will bring it into recall some time later in life when I need it. (Yep, I'm that dork). Some of my favorites are "Your head and heart" and "Forgiveness". I'd steered clear of a particular one called "Dating in Community" I mean let's be honest, what do I need to know that for? Well, I'd heard a friend talking about it highly and so I decided to listen. Maybe it would teach me something about supporting people that are dating within my community. It was FABULOUS! Both a charge for those dating and those not. A ton of hope for those not dating yet either, to both be a support and what to expect when life does come into that season. (I still recommend "Forgiveness" highest of all of them that I've listened to but "Dating within Community" is definitely in the Top Ten. Then, an opportunity to put it into practice...

Two of my friends here are dating and last night male part in this little pair decided to take female out to a nice dinner. So roommate and I were being goofy about it and acting as security detail, etc. Defiantly having fun, poking fun and being nosy, the fun easily watchable parts of community. Some of her female students were giddy, peeking out through bedrooms they were hiding in...we sent them off a good evening and headed off to do our own thing. But today I was processing some of that in light of living in community. Most of these students only know the couple as they are now, only as dressed the nines, flowers, driving off the a nice meal. They don't know the YEAR this couple spent in prayer, accountability, conversation, waiting, and surrender  Surrendering their emotions and thoughts and feelings and wants for God's best. What option would bring Him the most glory and gain them the most integrity in this narrative. That demands great honor and support. Those who can wait, not just in a relational sense, in any sense within the Kingdom, those who can wait are worthy of great honor. Those who can put what they want, their plans, what feels good to them on the alter of Christ and be willing to wait for Him to create something that brings Him great glory? That is one of the most romantic things us humans are capable of I think.

Our Basic Leadership School also started this week. It's the leadership school that all staff go through here. We meet once a week in a big group and through out the week with mentors and one on one. We have assignments and journals due similar to the Discipleship Training School students as well but our is focused on training and caring for us as leaders. I'm really, really, really excited for this season of "BLS." Immensely excited actually. It's a great time to connect with the other staff here, a fun time to be loved on and encouraged by the leaders above us, a time for accountability and feedback, a time to learn from other leaders in different arenas in life. I'm just really excited that this place seems to be excited about growing us, caring for us and championing us as leaders. It makes this place an awesome place to grow as a leader.

Loren's back! It's been great to be able to talk with him as he's come back from a leadership school on the North Island. He's got a whole arsenal of new perspectives and ideas that I'm really excited to see worked out. It's also been fun to start to see the ball rolling on our Snowboard School and start to see prayers and times of intercession turn into emails and files and acceptance letters.

That's this week in a nutshell. I've been blessed with nice timing of different chats online with close friends and family, beautiful weather, supportive community around me that encourages me to rest and heal from strep, and an iTunes gift card sent from a friend in the states.

No comments: