22 September 2012

I will waste my life.

What does the missionary life look like tonight? I'm nursing a second run of Yogi tea while my room reeks of the tea tree oil I've rubbed into my shins. (Those I've rubbed raw ice skating tonight with my team). Tomorrow morning my team will lead worship at St. Andrews church and I will preach on wasting your life for Jesus.

Wasting you life...because to the world waiting, resting and trusting in Him will look like waste. Giving it all with no regrets to find myself at his feet will look like waste.

Tomorrow will start our last week here in QT. I'm trying not to get too reflective at this point and keep my mind and heart in the present. But I'm proud of my team. I'm proud of Brendan. I'm tired. We've worked hard, we've played hard, we've succeeded and we've failed. I've run, I've walked and I've fallen.

Last night our youngest, Janie and Andy surprised me by performing at the Youth Booth. To say they are both amazingly talented is too light of a thing. They are beyond that. But the most amazing part is 3 months ago we could barely get Janie to sing. I literally bawled last night as she sang her heart out in front of a crowded room when just months ago she almost cried when I turned her mic up during worship practice. Janie has grown SO much in three weeks. She has formed numerous relationships with people here in Queenstown. There is rarely a time when we will pass a store front or business and she will not know someone or have some memory of a conversation there. As the youngest female on our team it's inspiring how many of us look up to little Janie girl. She's not the same girl I picked up from the airport so many weeks ago, she is a mighty and powerful tool in the hands of an Almighty God.

Tonight we attempted an event at the skate park. It was an opportunity for trust and humility. I continue to be impressed with this teams flexibility and grace in our ventures here. I'm proud of their pioneering spirit and willingness to try. While tonight didn't turn out how we planned necessarily none of them are ever willing to let an opportunity to love on people go. I found so many of them pouring into relationships with people we already know or are friends with when the crowd we were aiming to get didn't show. That's one of the awesome things about being here in QT is we have relationships. Last night we were walking home and a woman I've met and started a friendship with saw me while she was at the movie store with her kids. For some reason this is really encouraging to me because I see it happen with other members of my team almost everyday. We will be somewhere and someone will recognize one of us, while some days it does not feel like a typical outreach and it's often a temptation to get discouraged when we see facebook updates or pictures from the other team it's nights like tonight and last night. Days when there's a friend seen, or a ministry recognized that I am encouraged that our presence here is seen, needed and appreciated. That what we're doing, although most days we don't understand it is making a difference. In Queenstown, in lives and in the Kingdom.

And then tonight we ended up with a late night deal at a ice skating rink. We laughed, we skated, we fell, we danced, we lived and we loved, we honored Jesus.

Sometimes I'm just so thankful He is so easy to please.




No comments: